My Blog List

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Isabella may I introduce you to the Simmons'

 The Simmons' were distraught, for the next week they stayed by Ben's hospital bed together holding hands uncomfortably. 

Neither of them knew what to do, their son was going to live, his vital signs showed as much, but he was going to be irrevocably changed forever. They could see changes to his physiology, his face was changing shape his body was still losing weight and rearranging.  
Not knowing what they were going to do Jackie kept sobbing uncontrollably and Justin was wracked with guilt and anger for both Ben's condition and Jackie's grief he tried his best to comfort her awkwardly. 

"It's all my fault Jackie I shouldn't have let you persuade me into letting Ben work there, I should have stood up for myself"

"No Justin it was all my fault I should have been a better wife, you knew what was right and I just kept pushing, I'm so stupid. You do such a such a good job looking after me and Ben, I'm sorry, I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted me to leave when Ben gets out of  the hospital"

Ben's eyelids started to flicker unnoticed by his parents. 

"Jackie I don't.."

At that moment Ben woke interrupting them 

"Daddy are you here?

"Yes Ben I'm here, we're both here for you"

"I feel different, strange, like I've been torn apart and put back together differently" Ben paused and asked anxiously "is everything going to be okay?"

Jackie and Justin looked at each other neither knowing what to say or how to say it. Finally Jackie spoke

"You're okay Ben, Mommy's here, there are just a few side effects from this illness, but we'll talk when the doctors have made sure you're okay"

Ben spoke quietly

"Okay Mom if that's what you and Daddy want"

"It is Ben, we're not going anywhere" Justin said

Justin pressed the call button and a young nurse appeared in seconds

"Good he's awake, I'll call a doctor straight away and take his vitals, we'll need the room please"

The doctor's were called and Justin and Jackie waited in a side room watching a parade of doctors go in and out of Ben's room. 

Then began another day of tests and finally as their patience began to wane the Director ushered them in.

"Ben has been through a lot, he's aware of what's happening to him and he's taking it well in spite of the circumstances, at this stage we're happy with Ben's progress and we believe getting back to a degree of normality will be for for the best. Keeping him here will not serve any additional benefit"

"What about the results of the tests what do they say" Jackie asked

"Ben is now a fully healthy 18 year old woman, we've done several MRI's, bloodwork, cognitive testing, he is fine physically and mentally as far any medical test can tell, his body is still adapting but the major changes have taken place"

Jackie still desperate "Wasn't he fine the last time you released him and what treatment is there to cure this?"

"Mrs Simmons no one has ever seen a condition like this, everything looked normal when we released him and I'm afraid at this time there's no known treatment for this, obviously we will do regular check ups and...."


(They just kept talking about her and at her and not too her. She was here, she was present, talking about how to cure me, what if im happy to be alive and don't want any fucking Doctor touching me ever again, they barely know what they're doing, they'd told me I was a woman basically as an aside, like I'm a nothing, like I'm insignificant, like I'm some little school girl being told I have to do Home Ec rather than woodwork. Jackie and this doctor can go to hell only Daddy is looking at me and paying attention, he's the only one that really cares about me, everyone else just wants to "cure" me, not even asking if that's what I want)

Ben didn't notice he'd  started to think of herself as a female but she did notice a growing anger and assertiveness that was getting ready to boil over any second. 

"Will you stop talking about me like I'm not fucking here, I'm almost 19 years of age I get to make my own decisions"

"Ben" his mom said "we didn't mean to, we're sorry"

"No you're not, you're sorry I'm angry, you're sorry I'm not your son anymore, you're sorry you and Dad are on the verge of getting a divorce" she was trying to hurt Jackie out of spite "and as I understand it, my DNA got scrambled so I'm not even your fucking son anymore, I'm like some adopted daughter that just dropped on your doorstep"

"No you'll always be our son Ben"

"Are you stupid or deaf Jackie? I'm not a boy anymore, I don't have your DNA, I'm not your son, in fact to help you get this straight in that little State College head of yours let's try a different name, something that suits me more....hmm I know how about we start calling me Isabella, that was great grandma's name, yes from now on let's use Isabella, see if your brain can handle that" Isabella knew that that had been his dad's favourite Grandmother's name and deliberately chose it to spit in Jackie's face.

"Ben please, we can find a cure, it'll all be better, I promise" Jackie was sobbing

"Oh more promises you can't keep, I don't need curing, I need space, space from you, this is me now, and I told you Jackie it's Isabella, learn my name you stupid..."

"Isabella" Justin said in a stern raised voice "that's enough, let's pack up your things we're going home, we'll discuss this tonight when everyone has calmed down a little"

Hearing her Daddy say her new name made Isabella's stomach feel strange, she instantly felt calmed

"Yes, okay Daddy, you're right"

When they got home Jackie's crying continued unabated and when justin wasn't around Isabella's cruelty continued. 



"This is me now Jackie don't you fucking understand"

"Ben"

"Is-a-bella, Jackie, come on it's a simple enough name even for a failed trophy wife like you" Isabella said sarcastically

"I'm s-s-sorry" Jackie's eyes were red, the tears hadn't stopped for the past two hours "I just wish things were different I can't take this anymore"

"Girls we need to stop and go to bed, it's been a long day and we could all benefit from some sleep" Justin chimed in "things will look less bleak in the morning"

Jackie keeping her eyes covered nodded and Isabella sneered at her

"Yes Daddy, I've ALL been through a lot, I could use some sleep" said Isabella 

They all retired to their rooms, Jackie and Justin to their cold uncomfortable marital bed and Isabella to Ben's old room. Looking around his only thought was that Ben was gone for good and this was her room now, she was going to have to redecorate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment